Popular Posts

Monday, November 25, 2013

The Early Years of Gaming- My Fondest Moments as a Young Gamer


xXBChaceXx

|-Game News, Reviews, and Rants-|

            My fondest moments in gaming, was where all the visual magic started, when I was only three years old. For Christmas that year, I received a Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and with it, came Super Mario World, my first game. My eyes lit up with excitement, and, at the same time, my curiosity overtook me, as I became overwhelmed, anxious to play.
            It started with a profound “click” of the purple on-switch sliding up, and there, the Super Mario World title screen displayed. It was my first experience with Nintendo’s mascot, and his counter-part and brother, Luigi. I had no idea what I was getting into, other than an array of colours, lights, and sounds. My Dad, who had spent countless hours on the Atari 2600, and Colecovision, was utterly astounded by the enhanced visuals of early 90s gaming, as he was just as mesmerized as I was. He was my first co-op buddy, the Luigi to my Mario.
            Pressing “Start” brought me into Mario’s world, and I’ll never forget it, that simple, up-beat tune, and Mario waiting at the level 1-1 start. I don’t think he was quite so happy that a three year old boy, who had never played a video game in his life, was in control. Simply put, I died within the first ten seconds (Mama Mia!) and I had to start again. The controls were so foreign to me, even jumping felt strange. Navigating was hard enough, but having to avoid countless enemies, and dangerous pitfalls made it that much harder. Yet, I was so drawn in, I couldn’t stop playing. I had to win. I even took my Dad’s turn as Luigi at times. I hated to wait, he was so much better at it than I was.
            The more I played, the better I got. I struggled at certain points like the cavern levels, where the floor would rise to the ceiling, and the levels where I was airborne on small platforms, ricocheting to safety. Soon enough, those levels became an afterthought. My reflexes were attuned to the game, I was able to react faster, and play better. Eventually, with the skills I had acquired, with the help of my Dad, I made it to Bowser’s Castle.
            I never thought something could be as difficult as a final stretch to the end of a game.
            Bowser’s castle was nothing like any of the other fortresses of the game. The music, in itself, made me intimidated and scared. The clock was racing to zero, and I had to move fast, avoiding spike traps, lava, and those dreaded skeleton Koopas that never seemed to quit. At long last, the Princess was in plain sight. I had to rescue her from the evil clutches of King Koopa! “Help,” she cried, as Bowser came swooping down in his clown-faced flyer. My heart raced as I jumped, dodged, and ducked to avoid his attempts at hitting me. After several fireballs, and foot stomps, Bowser was defeated, and Princess Peach was safe with Mario again. I cheered, I really did. It was the happiest I had felt, and my first true sense of accomplishment growing up.
            After that, I was off and onto my next adventure, with a strange green dinosaur, named Yoshi, and a journey to protect an infant Mario from the evil Magikoopa, Kamek, and save his baby brother, Luigi, from the hands of Baby Bowser.
Super Mario World 2, Yoshi’s Island!

1 comment: