Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

BioWare's Newest Character... A Gay Mage Named Dorian

xXBChaceXx
|-Game News, Reviews, and Rants-|
BioWare’s First Playable Gay Male Party Member
(Gamer’s reactions, as well as my own)


Over the years, there have been plenty of heterosexual and bisexual relationships in gaming, and the option for players to choose either. 2003’s Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic featured such a romance, a homosexual, lesbian romance with the character Juhani. However, these choices never involved a male protagonist that would only become involved with another male character. Dorian, a mage, is the first male homosexual character, and is an optional party member in the upcoming game, Dragon Age Inquisition, which is scheduled to be released this October.
           
David Gaider, writer for this character, had this to comment, via Dorian’s character bio page:
                        
Dorian is gay—he is, in fact, the first fully gay character I've had the opportunity to write. It added an interesting dimension to his back story, considering he comes from a place where "perfection" is the face that every mage puts on and anything that smacks of deviancy is shameful and meant to be hidden. Dorian's refusal to play along with that façade is seen as stubborn and pointless by his family, which has contributed to his status as a pariah. I suppose this aspect of Dorian will make him controversial in some corners, but I was glad to include it. It made writing Dorian a very personal experience for me, and I'm hopeful that will make him seem like a fully realized character to fans in the end.
           
Gamers have reacted in a rather positive way, and are happy with the addition of the character. However, a lot of negative and harsh criticisms have stirred. Some gamers have threatened to cancel their preorders due to the fact that a gay male is a playable character, that they don’t want “gays” in their games, and that Dragon Age Inquisition is off their lists. Others have also said that gays don’t belong in video games, and other anti-gay profanities, such illogical statements as, “I respect gays, but not gays in video games,” and that gays are, “ugly, and unnatural.” Other statements boldly go to even say that, “They shouldn’t have even made a big deal about this, no one cares except gays.”
            
I’m utterly appalled by some of these statements… and the closed mindedness. Then again, I’m not surprised, I shouldn’t be surprised. What uninformed gamers don’t seem to realize that this is a huge step for gay representation in video games and gaming as a whole.

Personally speaking, I think this is a progressive action that BioWare is taking in regards to homosexuality as a whole. Considering that there is a certain prejudice against homosexuals, either male or female, Dorian, being the first gay male, shows that the devs at BioWare are willing to take initiative, regardless if the topic would be considered controversial. However, I don’t feel that a character’s sexuality should be a controversial topic. Regardless if a character is male or female, heterosexual, or homosexual, that’s not what draws me to a character. What truly makes me, as a reader, watcher, and a gamer, attached to a character… is the character’s traits, personality, and overall aesthetic. Dorian looks to be an interesting character, and with a passionate writer backing him, I’m looking forward to get to know him a bit better. Will I romance him with my male character? Probably not, as my heterosexual tendencies carry onto my carries in games. However, having the option to romance him with another male, makes the universe of Dragon Age believable.

Simply put, I'm all for Dorian (and his sweet mustache!)

Until next time…

Game on, guys!


-BChace

No comments:

Post a Comment